Thursday, September 25, 2008

Time, The Grand Equalizer

Okay, so I'm totally addicted (in the most healthy of ways, mind you) to Facebook and all those other networking connects online. My kids think I'm weird and granted, they have a point, as I squeal out time and again from my office computer, "Oh, my gosh! I can't believe I found ....!"

In the past four days, I've talked with Jeff A. whom I first got to know in 1982 as a seventeen-year old girl desperate to find a way to stop living a double-life as a Christian(i.e. drinking like a fish on weekends and telling jokes, admittedly funny jokes, that would make a sailor blush).

I got a chance to do just that while working with Jeff, one of the "old" adults (um, he was probably all of 24 or so) on an organizational team for an area-wide youth rally in Moberly, MO. This was an opportunity to put my actions where my faith was supposed to be and I dove in for all I was worth. A couple of years later I saw Jeff at Hannibal LaGrange College and then, like so many people in our lives, he went somewhere with his family and that was that.

Fast forward 26 years... a quick facebook search...and there's Jeff with his still beautiful bride Sherry and their now grown (and married) sons. Like me, Jeff has a few pigment-challenged hair follicles on his head. Laugh lines. And I'm sure more than a few stories of failure and success. But as I look at the photos he posted, all I could really think about was the multiple pure expressions of love, affection, joy, and faithfulness on his face. He may not "look" 24 anymore and heaven knows I threw off 17 a long, long, loooooooong, time ago, but in the grand scheme of life, we stand equal.

A bit older.
A bit wiser.
And thankful for the faithful love of our family and Savior.

4 comments:

  1. Julie! Oh so glad I discovered the world of blogs ... and now I've made my way to your blog. I am not into the facebook thing but will surely enjoy chatting with you here. I met you several years ago at my very first Hearts at Home conference in Lansing, MI. I so enjoy my heart & spirit lifting time at those confrences. I was there this past weekend too (so happy it was at the Amway as I live right here in Grand Rapids and boy is it nice when good things happen close to home!) Anyway I am thrilled to have had another chance to see you in person and to soak up some of your wisdom. Thanks for sharing yourself. Thanks for always making me smile even in the middle of my worn out days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Julie why don't we have Julie videos on Godtube.com or youtube?
    I'm thinking we need them!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Julie, I'm Laura, Luke's sister and Ana's daughter. She told me about your site and I realized that we blog on the same site. I'll be browsing around in my next few online sessions. I always like to glean from writers and get some inspiration for where I can improve.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Julie, I picked up your book "One Tough Mother" yesterday and am just about half way finished with it. I just had to write you to tell you how much I'm enjoying it. I am a mother of 3 also. 2 boys and 1 girl ( a little different arrangement than yours)My boys were 10 1/2 and 7 when their sister was born, so I understand your dynamic of having your kids spaced apart. I'm not sure which is more difficult spaced or slammed on top of each other. I'm sure there are pros and cons to both depending on who you ask.

    I so appreciate your honesty and humor. Even though my kids are pretty much grown (27, 23, 16)(of course the 16 yo thinks she's totally grown) I still read books on being a mom for 2 reasons: I love beating myself up about all the things I should have done! ha and 2. I lead a small group of young moms in Bible study and I soooo try to get across to them to lighten up on themselves (and their kids). Try a little grace (or a lot). One thing that helped me when my kids were younger was hearing James Dobson (my hero) say on the radio: "When raising children, you can't take all the credit and you can't take all the blame". That was such a relief to me (the blame part anyway).

    I enjoy writing poetry. It's rarely deep, but has lots of meaning. Hope you enjoy this one.


    Just say “NO”

    There was a time when “no” meant “no”

    Not "we’ll see" or "maybe later"

    Now it seems that

    No is just

    a delay for the delegator.

    When your child asks

    Can I have this?

    Do you say with hesitation:

    “We’ll talk about it

    Later on” or give an explanation

    You can’t have candy now because

    Your dinner’s almost done

    And if you eat too much of that

    Your teeth will rot out son.

    Not only that, you already had

    Your quota for today

    So I’m afraid it’ll have to wait

    And that’s all I have to say

    Except for this,

    Your desire for sweets

    is a subliminal cry for control

    And I’ll have to talk to your Dr.

    Next time we have to go.

    So you see the reason that you can’t

    Have candy at least right now

    Is blah blah blah

    And wah wah wah

    That’s why I can’t allow….

    Oh my goodness,

    Be the mom

    And tell the little toot

    No you can’t have candy now

    And make it absolute

    You’re the mom

    Stand strong and proud

    Without worry of reproach

    Resolve right now

    To take the reins

    And boldly just say “NO”





    Lisa Simmons

    11/08

    Nisi Dominus Frusta
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete